Hi Folks, so the seventies are back!! Yes one of my favourite era's in fashion has finally come round again er!... wait... wasn't the 70's hot three years ago, five years ago, next year!!!!!! Thing is the seventies never goes away, it is always with us in some form or another be it in a more subtle or more ostentatious way. The popularity of festival fashion also guarantees its continued existence as without it its almost impossible to be festival cool. Horray! Fashion has an unparalleled way of constantly repeating itself despite designers efforts to create new trends. This isn't necessarily a bad thing after all the repetition of favourite trends from the specific era's can only mean they were brilliant ones to start with and are worthy of being reworked.
My favourite trend from the 70's has got to be suede. Nothing epitomises the 70's better than this amazing leather. However good quality suede doesn't come cheap that's why the high street is swamped by its poor "relation" microfibre fabric. There are huge advantages to the "fake suede" effect namely that of a 40 degree wash which in itself is a "no brainer". It's also a very comfortable and lighter fabric to wear.
My own ever expanding wardrobe contains a few suede vintage gems. I'll be putting pics up of my favourite vintage looks in this post. Retro suede comes with its own problems, it's usually heavy and needs dry cleaning. However you can't beat it for authenticity and originality as you will see from my photos.
Fabulous green suede vintage 70's coat. Purchased in Oxford U.K. a few years ago.Worn over a gorgeous 70's print maxi . A raspberry beret and my super high "ugly shoes" complete the look. Hope you enjoy!
Incredible long "button through" vintage tan suede skirt. I've worn this with a black crew neck sweater, a silk vintage scarf, big 70's shades and my famous "ugly shoes". Lovin this fab look!
This cool 70's look was achieved by pairing a great 70's maxi and an amazing afghan coat. The coat, a black suede with fur trimmed edging and embroidered panels is one of my favourites. I've worn it with a great black hat and my STAR BUY these amazing 70's looking sandals purchased in Penneys . (Details below)
Patchwork vintage suede skirt. Very unusal amazing "butter soft" suede. Love wearing simple tops with these skirts as they are such statement pieces. Love my berets too. Ha ha!
This look I've included because I'm wearing my purple fringed retro bag. I'll be doing a future blog on 70's dresses and high street lookalikes. There are plenty of fringed accessories to be had on the high street. I've included lots of these in this post so keep scrolling down. White flares, a gorgeous 70's vintage floral print blouse and another amazing 70's vintage treasure, my vintage tan suede gilet complete this trans-seasonal look. There is subtle fringing on the edges and great buttons. The look is completed by my favourite Penneys hat. Love this "laid back" look.
Last but not least, this super suede and sheep-fur trimmed coat looks like it stepped straight out of a 70's movie set. Who knows where its travelled before I became the lucky owner. I bought this in Oxfam a few years ago and I feel like a "movie star" as soon as I wear it. It's so glamourous! Sigh! The suede effect flared trousers are a recent purchase from H&M. Great 70s buy!
My trip to the high street unveiled several little treasures yesterday. I spent several hours in Dundrum Town Centre taking more photos than I care to remember. It was well worth it and shops like River Island (known for its fashion forward designs and accessories) and H&M had a lot of 70's suede inspired pieces going on. I was also surprised by Bershka which yielded several convincing 70's suede effect designs. House of Fraser didn't disappoint with more "high end" suede pieces.
- Bershka: Fake suede fringe jacket €35.99 (also in cream)
- Bershka: Knee length shearling gilet €45.99
- Bershka: Suede effect shirt €22.99 (also in olive)
- H&M: Black fake suede fringe jacket €80.00
- H&M: 70's tie belt fake suede knee length coat (Great Buy) €60.00
- House of Fraser: "Gray & Willow" grey butter soft suede "high end" knee length coat € 1249.00
- House of Fraser: Camel 70's style coat "Lipsy London" €143.00
- River Island: Accessories: Variety of fringe bags available from €53.00, amazing suede selection of shoes and boots various prices.
- River Island: Suede effect 70's hat €33.00 (also in black)
- River Island: Cute fake suede tan collar €20
- River Island: Variety of "A" Line mini skirts, snake skin skirt €40
- Warehouse: Tan suede "A"Line mini €72.00
- Warehouse: Studded pleather "A" Line mini €60
- Pennys: Tan high heeled fringe sandal €20.00 (also in black)
- Pennys: Olive boot with snake skin heel €25.00 (love these)
- Pennys: Black fringed ankle boot €23 (also in tan)
- Pennys: Fringe "shopper" €15.00 (also in black)
- Pennys: Shearling bag €10.00
- Pennys: Saddle bag €10.00
- Pennys: Variety of 100% wool hats all €10.00 (amazing value)
- Pennys: Fake shearling suede gilet €25.00 (also in black)
Pennys: Wine patent 70's style sandals only €18.00, very YSL inspired!!! Purchased these myself, look out for them in the photos above. Love, love these!
Hope you enjoy these photos. Hopefully they will provide you with encouragement to "Shop the 70's suede look!!".
Talk soon XXXX Violinkit